Wednesday, January 06, 2010

What's the best time of day to run?

I've just finished three miles on the treadmill, but I didn't manage to begin until hours later than planned. I was up and dressed in running togs by 8:00 am, QMH and Kid Kate were stirring (two of us work at home and one is on winter break from college), and the run got shoved back, then back again.

Over the next month, I'll be trying to work the daily run back to the very top of my day, for at least two good reasons: one, it'll be finished before the demands of work and family begin impinging, and two, because an early dose of endorphins is a good, good thing.

At different stages of our running career, QMH and I have kept different regimens. When we first arrived in the Nashville area, 25 years back, she worked at a Music Row law office, and we ran after office hours, six miles every other day. More recently, when I was working in an office, I had my run well-cemented into the earliest hour of the day.

The training calendar for the Tom King calls for short weekday runs and weekend runs of increasing length. If I can get the weekday ones back to the crack of dawn, the weekend ones (which will be at whatever pace QMH desires) we can do later in the day without disruption.

What's your preferred time of day to run -- morning, noon or night? Whatever your intentions, NOW is a better time to run than NOT NOW, so

Lace up and go!

The Countdown to Tom King 1/2 Marathon March 13
Days until TK
Miles logged today
Comments
66
3
late morning - let's try it earlier tomorrow

No comments: